Monday, April 30, 2012

Internal and External Changes

I've noticed a strange pattern with this blog. The majority of my posts are about improving my ability to do something. Sleep better, keep on projects, maintain momentum, etc. In my head, though, these aren't 'real' improvements. To me, improvements change the state of who I am. Improved me is more patient, more controlled, more able to stand up for himself, etc. But that isn't what I'm working towards. I'm working towards the external changes.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. External changes are just as important as the internal ones if you want to get anywhere. But to leave the internal changes off entirely? No. Terrible idea.

The problem is it's easier to make external changes than internal ones. If I want to be better at balancing my budgets, all I need to do is set up a system and stick with it. If I want to be braver... how the hell do I do that? Changes in personality come from challenges. That isn't something you start at will.

But it's still vital to do them. It's just a matter of figuring out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment