Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On Inertia

Let's try an experiment. Take some homework you have. If it's reading, read two or three sentences. If it's a problem set, set up one of the problems. I'll wait for you to do that.

Okay. Do you stop after three lines or read an entire paragraph? Do you try to solve the problem?

I know I do. As I started making small, cumulative changes, I noticed some patterns to how I did things. I didn't want to start working on a project. But once I started, I didn't want to stop. Once I start a problem set, I have no trouble working for two hours. The problem is starting. It's not quite laziness, because I don't give up early. I think a better word is 'inertia'. At person at rest remains at rest, and a person moving remains moving.

Inertia prevents you from doing things. But I think it can also work in your favor. Since the hardest part of doing something is starting it, we should be able to cheat that by using a small stepping stone. If you don't feel like exercising, say you'll walk to the gym to clear your mind. Then enter the gym to use the water fountain. Then just do a small part of your routine...

It's all about that first step. Inertia is a powerful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment